Search This Blog

08 November 2014

My strengths...

This really is a tough one! Sometimes, it's easier to see the faults that we have. I often look back at a lesson and think, "I could've done better. " or "What should I have added to make this lesson better?" I'm always planning and replanning and trying to make the best lessons I possibly can. But at the end of the day, I'm not so sure that my biggest strength is my lesson planning or even my delivery of the lessons.

Thinking about it, I would have to say that one of my greatest strengths as an educator is my ability to make connections with my students. I never really thought that this would be something that would be so it important or rather more important than lessons and knowledge of the subject matter.  Instead, I find that because of The rapport that I build with my students, I'm able to reach them easier. They're more willing to listen to me and pay attention and they also want to do more. Very rarely do I have classroom management problems because of this. 

One advantage that I have over other subject area teachers is that many times I'm able to have a student for two or more years. This really gives me an opportunity to get to know them not just as a student but also as an individual. I'm also very fortunate to be able to plan trips overseas to Italy every other year. These trips are unforgettable experiences that create a bond with the students and myself and the students with other students that is really undeniable. 

I truly believe that if it were not for these connections that I'm able to make with my students and Foster mutual respect, I would not be a successful teacher as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment