Search This Blog

26 September 2014

My top sites

DAY 26 - Reflective Teacher Blogging Challenge

What are your three favorite go-to sites for help/tips/resources in your teaching?

Google - I'm almost sure that there are some very amazing sites out there that might be perfect for me but for some reason, I am really bad at saving sites and so I usually end up doing a Google search for what I need. Google is probably the search engine and tool that I use the most.  I don't even think there has been a day when I haven't used Google.  The funny thing is that I often will do a search and see that many links are highlighted, indicating that I have already been to the site.  Why don't I just bookmark these sites? I have no clue but I think I probably should start to make my life easier- at least in this way.

YouTube -   Being a language teacher, YouTube is an invaluable tool which lets me share authentic language with my students.  I use it to show them music videos, clips from movies or news.  Sometimes, it is not as easy to find materials in Italian as it is in Spanish or French and YouTube can help fill that void.


Twitter - Although Twitter appears last on my list, it is probably the number one internet resource that I have been using since last year.  Following other teachers (expanding my PLN), cultural figures, and news sources have helped me immensely.  There have been many occasions when I have read something in an Italian newspaper that I have then brought into my classroom because it was perfectly adapt for what we were talking about.

Honorable mentions:

ILR.fm - This is one of my favorite Italian radio stations. I play it all the time in my classroom.  It's perfect for variety and for exposing my students to music.

NYSED.gov - http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/lote/pub/lotecassess.pdf  This site is one that I have visited quite a few times. I am usually not a big fan of the state government telling me how to do things but this particular page has helped me with assessments.  It has sample rubrics for all types of language tasks - speaking, storytelling, written, etc.  I have used some as they appear on the site and others have just served to help me develop my own idea of what I should be looking for and how to grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment