Search This Blog

23 September 2014

Community

Day 23 Reflective Teacher Blogging Challenge

One way that I have been incorporating the community as a whole into my teaching this year is through the Italian Honor Society.  I am fortunate to be the academic adviser for this great group of students.  We are working on many things this year and I am so proud of them for truly being organized! A few things that we plan to do:

1.  Italian Night - This cultural event is aimed at the whole community from ages 1 -100. We will offer live performances of classical music by a quartet, an instructional dance (the Tarantella), fun contests like spaghetti eating and pizza making and of course there will be tons of FOOD!  We will also be collecting donations of non-perishable food items to donate to a local soup kitchen.

2.  Sav-a-Pet - There is a local animal shelter and many of the students have expressed a desire to help out.  I find it only fitting that we help since our chapter was named for Saint Francis, who was a lover of all creatures.

3.  Mini classes for the elementary schools - I was fortunate enough to lead a group of adults this summer to Italy.  Among the group were some of my colleagues who I did not know so well.  One of them is an elementary school teacher.  Since we had hit it off so well, I felt comfortable enough to ask her if she would be willing to have my high school students come in to her class and teach a few mini lessons.  She said she absolutely love to do that and would hold me to it! Right now, we are working out the schedule and we might even have a few other teachers interested in participating.  I can't wait to see how this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment